Le Carre on his father's bankruptcy and Carey Street 'the home of bankruptcy'

The Sunday Telegraph's Seven magazine (29/08/10) carried an excellent interview with the absolute king of the spy novel, Mr David Cornwell, aka John Le Carre, this past Sunday. The creator of such brilliant characters as George Smiley (pictured) mentions an interesting piece of information on his father's brush with the insolvency laws. The article states:

"His father, though the relationship was uneasy, was determined his sons would be toffs: Cornwell a barrister, his brother a solicitor...'His big dream was that we would be gents. He enrolled me at Gray's Inn. When he was finally declared bankrupt I found myself in Carey Street, the home of bankruptcy, explaining why I was a director of all these companies that I knew nothing about."

Twenty-two best selling novels later Mr Cornwell only has Carla to fear! Professor David Graham QC acted for Ronnie Cornwell (David Cornwell's father) in his battle to ward off his creditors with a form of composition. When I have spoken to Professor Graham on this period in his life I will post up his thoughts here.

Picture Credit:  http://www.movieforum.com/people/actors/alecguinness/images/tinkertailor.jpg

Comments