Dover Debtors’ Prison, and Dover Castle (pictured) during its long history once served as gaols for debtors who resided in the Cinque Ports. Neild describes the physical conditions in the Castle in 1805 as being damp and cramped and devoid of fresh air. Pitt's seventeenth century debtor may have experienced much the same privations.
 East Kent Archives Centre, Ref.CPw/RD – Dover Castle Debtors’ Prison.
 On the history of Dover castle see: Lyon, J. The History of the Town and Port of Dover and of Dover Castle with a short account of the Cinque ports. Longman, London, 1813; and; Puckle, J. The Church and Fortress or Dover Castle. John Henry & James Parker, London, 1864.
 Neild, J, Account of Persons confined for Debt, in the various prisons of England and Wales, ... with their provisionary allowance during confinement; as reported to the Society for the discharge and relief of small Debtors. London, 1800, at 165. The Cinque ports are Dover, Hastings, Hythe, Romney and Sandwich.
 Neild page 165. Neild’s generosity to the imprisoned debtors in Dover Castle is recorded in: Jones, JB. Dover – A Perambulation of the Town, Port, and Fortress. Dover, 1907, where it is noted at page 113 “Neild’s Charity, £800 3 per cent. Consols, left by James Neild in 1810, to be given in bread to the discharged debtors of Dover Castle prison.”
 On Dover generally see: Statham, SPH. The History of the Castle, Town, and Port of Dover. Longmans Green & Co, London, 1899, at Chapter VII.
Picture Credit: http://www.uk-photos.co.uk/aerial/kent_dover_castle.jpg